All the books for sale at Ambush Books are either previously published books or series, or continuations of previously published series that have never before been publicly available. If you are an author of an out of print book or series, and you’ve reclaimed the rights to your intellectual property, please contact us at click here.
Ambush Books’ Author-centric Publishing Services
Ambush Books is a new kind of author-centric tween and teen publisher focusing exclusively on eBook backlist titles and out of print children’s novels. You know the ones that pre-teens and teens enjoyed decades ago but have been kept off the market in a publisher’s dusty archives. Well we’re brushing them off and making them available-and-affordable as easy to read eBooks. These are books that were previously published, written by children’s book authors just like you.
PUBLISHER/AUTHOR ROYALTY SPLITS
We are offering the best deal in the business for authors: the Author receives 40% of net online sales everywhere books are sold on the internet, minus an modest, optional one-time creation cost that is deducted from royalties so there is no up front cost to the Author (see below). By net we mean whatever money we generate from sales of your books on our online store AmbushBooks.com, and the money we collect from our distribution partners: Apple’s iBookstore, Amazon’s Kindle Store, Barnes and Noble (for Nook), SONY Reader Store, and a host of online eBook distributors. No other costs are included in our definition of net. The only expense the Author bears is the initial cost of producing the eBook, which could include cover art design and production, eBook conversion, print book scanning, light copyediting to ensure formatting is solid, and the cost of securing an ISBN number. Of course if the Author wants to provide any or all of these things, the one-time creation cost is minimized or eliminated altogether.
SERVICES PROVIDED BY AMBUSH BOOKS:
- Transformation from paper backlist title to eBook in Kindle, ePub and pdf formats. The author pays for the exact costs out of royalties so there are no up front costs.
- Online distribution through our website, the Kindle Store, Apple’s iBookstore, BN.com, Kobo and other online book retailers. Libraries are also moving into the eBook arena quickly, so we’ll get your books listed there too.
- Licensing of rights to film, audio, foreign publishers, etc.
- Marketing of titles (mostly online and through social media, which has proven to be highly successful for books)
- Bookkeeping and quarterly distribution of royalties to Author
- Inclusion of Author titles in general Ambush marketing and sales efforts
- Subscription sales opportunities
- Publisher support and credibility (as opposed to self-published Author)
NO UPFRONT COSTS
The Author can provide any or all of these items themselves if they prefer. These are actual eBook creation expenses deducted from author royalties; no markups; no up front costs.
- Print book scanning (MS Word and .pdf files): $25 -$35 depending on length (only applicable if no digital MS Word file exists)
- Light copyediting and eBook formatting by Ambush staff: $25-$50
- ISBN numbers: $10 per format (Kindle, ePUB, .pdf, etc.)
- Cover Art Design: $50-$100 (author approves cover design)
Ambush is seeking to license these rights from authors (we are not asking for print rights at this point) including:
- abridgment and condensation,
- selection and quotation,
- anthology and collection,
- book club,
- first and second serialization,
- dramatic (including movies, television, stage),
- and graphic adaptation.
Laurie McLean is a literary agent and she and her team are well-versed in selling subsidiary rights, so they won’t languish like they did in the past.
And as far as those rights go, after 3 years from date of publication, if we have not sold any of these rights, they revert back to the author within 30 days of request. If sales of any eBook fall below 100 copies in twelve consecutive months, the rights revert back to the author within 60 days of request (as we’ll need some time to pull it from all our retail partner stores).
Laurie also spent 20+ years as the CEO of a multi-million dollar marketing and publicity firm she founded, so she knows how to market things well. And Doug Rees is a librarian as well as an author, so he knows those ends of the business.
Ambush Books wants to help you start earning money from books you’ve already written. Contact Laurie McLean Laurie@AgentSavant.com or Douglas Rees email@example.com if you want to take the next step.